GOAL Turkey is Looking for Senior Program Officer
GOAL is an international humanitarian aid agency with operations in 13 countries in The Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Last year it reached more than six million people in need in nutrition, health, livelihoods, and emergency response programmes.
GOAL in Turkey:
GOAL has been implementing programmes in Turkey since 2016 and has an open-ended registration to operate in the country. In addition to 62 dedicated staff members based in our field offices in Adana, Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa and in administrative offices in Ankara and Hatay, GOAL Turkey also benefits from administrative supports and technical expertise provided by GOAL Syria Response Programme’s Turkey-based staff members.
GOAL Turkey benefits from strong relationships with key stakeholders within the country’s national refugee response framework and has established trust within targeted communities. Our contribution to the national refugee response in Turkey has focused on addressing gaps and responding to identified needs in health service delivery, social security provision, and the protection of vulnerable and marginalized refugees in southern Turkey. Our current project targets nomadic and semi-nomadic refugee groups and seasonal agricultural workers in Adana, Şanlıurfa and Gaziantep. In 2020, GOAL reached over 25,000 refugees with targeted protection support activities.
GOAL is currently implementing two projects (ECHO funded LINK and PRM funded GREEN) in Turkey. The LINK program targets refugees from nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds and those engaged in seasonal agricultural labour. LINK has been designed to address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable / marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to enable highly vulnerable refugees to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. The Green program aims to improve the socioeconomic inclusion, resilience and self-sufficiency of highly vulnerable/excluded women and girls from host and refugee communities including nomadic communities and seasonal agriculture workers from both communities through integrated and market driven livelihood opportunities and protection services, including language courses and vocational skills training on greenhouse production and agriculture; case management (CM)/coaching services, establishment of a women cooperative, protection outreach, information provision and awareness raising; and provision of special needs and individual protection assistance services.
Under the direct supervision of the GOAL Turkey (GT) Livelihood and Inclusion Coordinator (LICO), the Program Officer provides efficient and effective technical supports for different aspects of the GT GREEN Project, particularly, for the monitoring of the construction processes of greenhouse and prefabricated project office in addition to greenhouse production system planning & maintenance including frequent technical site monitoring in collaboration with the rest of GREEN team and GT System Department to achieve Program’s objectives.
Duties, Objectives, and Competencies
- Working closely with the LICO, form a strong link between the GREEN Program & GT system teams and external project partners, in particular, with the focal points, technical experts and practitioners from Adana Metropolitan Municipality (Adana MM) and Çukurova University (ÇU) Technology Transfer Office (TTO).
- Closely monitor and track progresses (on site and based on the constructions work plan) of technical and practical aspects of the constructions of the greenhouse and the prefabricate office setup and provide LICO with immediate information and analysis of any potential risks, misconducts, or gap in construction processes.
- In coordination and collaboration with technical experts and practitioners from Adana MM and ÇU/TTO ensure continuous and efficient operation of greenhouse systems, equipment, and machinery (water technical, lighting, shading, venting, cooling, heating, CO2, seeding, germination and harvesting, etc.) throughout the project including providing inputs for incorporating new technologies and continual improvements to equipment and systems.
- In coordination and collaboration with technical experts and practitioners from the Adana MM and ÇU/TTO improve production facilities, reduce the incidences of costly breakdowns including following up and supervising the preventative, periodical and autonomous maintenance tasks and develop strategies to improve overall reliability and safety of the facilities, personnel, and production processes.
- Work with LICO and technical experts and practitioners of Adana MM and ÇU/TTO to increase the effectiveness of greenhouse systems based on the technical production plans developed by the TTO and Adana MM/Parks and Gardens Department.
- Control and track maintenance inventory (tools, equipment, spare parts).
- Perform analysis to determine the root cause of the most critical and repetitive equipment failures.
- Monitor greenhouse software and ensure all programming is accurate and interfacing with hardware.
- Check alarms and malfunction on all irrigation, heating, cooling and dosing equipment in the greenhouse and coordinate the technicians under AMM.
- Ensure all work has been completed on time in a safe, prompt, and professional manner.
- Assist LICO with the preparation of technical reports on the progress of constructions of greenhouse and prefabricate office setup.
- When and as requested by LICO supervise all necessary admin/paperwork to pay incentives and transportation fees to livelihood project beneficiaries in coordination with LICO, GT System and Finance teams.
- Maintain awareness about international standards about program implementation and humanitarian relief and development best practices.
- Assist LICO with the preparation of specifications and procurement of greenhouse production and office supplies.
- Assist with administrative duties such as filing, scanning, copying, and archiving.
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of periodic technical program reports to Donors and HQ.
- Assist LICO with the preparation and implementing an effective technical monitoring and evaluation of construction processes.
- Assist LICO with the development and implementing of an effective greenhouse production and business planning with technical supports received from the Çukurova University Technology Transfer Office or other sources.
- Work closely with partner organizations in completing delegated tasks and be the on site communication Focal Point with AMM and ÇU TTC staff.
- Raise the needed Procurement Request for Greenhouse production.
- Hold a Turkish citizenship
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Civil or Electrical Engineering, etc.
- A minimum of 2 years work experiences
- Advanced knowledge of greenhouse mechanical, electrical, plumbing and heating systems.
- Familiar with Solar Panel Systems.
- Familiar with Construction Works.
- Understanding of periodical, preventative, autonomous maintenance activities.
- Preferably having the ability to read systems schematics (electrical and mechanical) and advanced troubleshooting skills.
- Understanding of occupational safety procedures.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills with strong focus on teamwork and interface with a broad range of work groups.
- Ability to analyse project risks and proactively identify solutions with a flexible, creative, and solution-focused outlook on problem solving.
- Strong prioritization and multitasking skills with the ability to operate in a complex, rapidly changing environment with typically tight schedules and demanding targets.
- Self-starter and has the ability to manage multiple projects efficiently.
- Effectively provides and receives information orally in individual and group situations. Written expression is clear, concise, and conveys the desired message.
- Positive collaborative team attitude.
- Ability to take initiative and self-start projects.
- Inquisitive mindset, ability to take calculated risks and be able/willing to recognize and react as necessary when tactics are not working.
- Focus on customer service to ensure internal/external partners receive above-and-beyond support.
- Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience in design, installation, and commissioning of greenhouse equipment and systems.
- Understand/experience in agriculture industry as it relates to greenhouse growing operations
- Advanced degrees in engineering or business.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with international development and/or humanitarian programming; Education strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
- Good administration skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Must be flexible, adaptable, and willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 14 February.
General terms and conditions.
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury, and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behavior protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Your application has been successfully submitted.