National Democratic Institute (NDI) Turkey is looking for Program Manager
National Democratic Institute (NDI) Turkey
Ankara, Turkey Remote
OB DESCRIPTION NDI-Turkey
TITLE: Program Manager
CLOSING DATE: 10 January 2021
PROGRAM: Local Civic Engagement
International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) that works to support democratic institutions and processes seeks a dynamic, experienced and reliable professional for the position of full-time Program Manager.
The Program Manager will be responsible for design, planning, implementation, and evaluation of civic engagement projects. Detailed responsibilities will include: follow political developments and analyze needs to inform programming; assess need for greater civic engagement, seek out and cultivate partnerships, and identify beneficiaries from within local government authorities and civil society; coordinate with implementing partners and stakeholders, including the Government of Turkey; organize and contribute to trainings, meetings, workshops, events, and delegations and/or consultant trips; oversee and facilitate subgrants to local Turkish entities; help to facilitate and maintain good relationships with local and international democratic development organizations, local government authorities, civic actors, and Turkish government; draft and submit activity reports; administrative and finance duties to support programs; among other responsibilities.
A successful candidate will have several years’ relevant experience and a university degree, including prior experience implementing international development programs or with civil society organizations, political parties, or local government; knowledge of Turkish civic organizations throughout Turkey; political knowledge and analysis skills; strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills; and a willingness to travel within Turkey. They will also have a willingness to work independently and take initiative, excellent time management and computer skills, demonstrated attention to detail, fluency in both Turkish and English, and outstanding references.
Please see the Job Description below for more detail on the responsibilities and qualifications. To apply, send your resume, cover letter, and references in English to firstname.lastname@example.org with Program Manager in the subject line by 10 January 2021.
PRIVACY NOTICE – CLARIFICATION LETTER
The personal data included in your resume/CV, sent by you via email, shall be processed by the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs Turkey Representation Office for the limited purposes of management of the recruitment process, and this data may be transferred to the Head Quarter in the USA. We will e-mail you a link for a privacy notice and consent form subsequent to receiving your application in an e-mail. We request that you carefully read and approve the privacy notice and consent form sent to you. Please send your requests relating to the right of the data subject as prescribed in article 11 of Law on the Protection of Personal Data Numbered 6698, to us via email@example.com.
Tarafınızca özgeçmişinizi e-posta üzerinden bize iletmeniz yoluyla işlenen kişisel verileriniz, Uluslararası İlişkiler İçin Ulusal Demokratik Enstitüsü Türkiye Temsilciliği tarafından işe alım sürecini yönetmek amacıyla sınırlı olarak işlenecektir ve ABD’de bulunan Merkez ofise aktarılabilir. Başvurunuzu e-posta olarak tarafımıza ilettikten sonra, kişisel verileriniz ile ilgili aydınlatma metni ve rıza beyanı link olarak e-posta adresinize gönderilecektir. Aydınlatma metni ve rıza beyanını dikatlice okuyarak onaylamanızı rica ederiz. Bu konuda 6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanununun ilgili kişinin haklarını düzenleyen 11’inci maddesi kapsamındaki taleplerinizi, firstname.lastname@example.org üzerinden tarafımıza iletebilirsiniz.
JOB DESCRIPTION NDI-Turkey
TITLE: Program Manager
CLOSING DATE: 10 January 2021
PROGRAM: Local Civic Engagement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
SUMMARY: Supports resident director in day-to-day activities and in the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of civic engagement projects, in collaboration with NDI-Headquarters staff, by performing the duties listed below.
This position manages programs. It does not manage direct reports.
Prior work experience with or within a local government is an asset.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in design, implementation and evaluation of NDI programming in Turkey
- Contribute to developing strategies to ensure the achievement of program objectives
- Follow political developments and analyze needs to inform programming
- Assess needs for greater civic engagement, seek out and cultivate partnerships, and identify beneficiaries from within civil society and local governments
- Coordinate with implementing partners and stakeholders; develop strong relationships with partners and stakeholders; hold regular meetings to keep up-to-date on partner and stakeholder activities and developments; work closely on planning and implementing joint events; assess implementation capacity of partners and stakeholders on a regular basis
- Organize and contribute to trainings, meetings, workshops, events, and delegations and/or consultant trips; anticipate program administrative needs and, in close consultation with program and finance staff, takes appropriate actions
- Assist with monitoring and evaluating the program, particularly subgrantees
- Maintain good relationships with local and international democratic development organizations, civic organizations and local and national public authorities
- Under supervision of the Resident Director, oversee and facilitate NDI subgrants to local
- Turkish civic organizations and local government bodies, as needed; assist in the formatting and revision of project proposals from civic and public organizations applying to NDI funding; cross check figures for accuracy; work with NDI local partners to ensure that all narrative and financial reports are submitted according to schedule
- Draft and submit activity reports; prepare updates for weekly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports
- Attend meetings and keep up to date on the latest information about the program team, program activities and program partners.
- Contribute to determine additional funding opportunities for NDI programs; develop and maintain good relations with donors
- Provide administrative support for the development of new programs and work plans
- Arrange logistics for meetings with partner organizations
- Ensure that logistical issues are sorted out for workshops (booking the venue, budget preparation, equipment and stationery to be used)
- Organize logistics for business trips
- Prepare agenda and participants lists for program events
- Provide interpretation during meetings
- Provide written translation of documents
- Monitor use of program expenditures and identifies areas for cost saving
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements for allowable and unallowable expenditures
- Under supervision, creates initial drafts of budgets
- In coordination with finance staff, ensure that correct financial and administrative procedures are followed by NDI small grantees and sub-grantees
- Screen financial reports of small grantees
- Maintain correspondence with NDI-DC Sub-Grant Department on all important financial
- issues related to small grants and sub-grants
Undertake other duties as assigned by the supervisor
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Prior experience implementing international development programs particularly with local governments, civil society organizations or political parties
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge of local governments throughout Turkey including relevant legislative framework within which local governments operate in Turkey.
- Strong knowledge of Turkish civic organizations throughout Turkey
- Strong political knowledge and analysis skills
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, Turkey and foreign government personnel, civic and political actors, and the general public
- High level of oral and written communication skills to effectively create clear and concise written document, present information, respond to questions and prepare reports in a professional manner
- Fluent in both Turkish and English
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to manage all programmatic aspects and taking responsibility of various program components working with team members
- Ability and willingness to take initiative
- Exceptional ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to effectively articulate NDI mission statements and program/project initiatives
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information
- Extensive knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs
- Working knowledge with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Zoom, Mural/Miro.
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations in Turkey
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Based in Ankara since 1997, NDI's Turkey-focused programs have supported strengthening Turkey’s democratic processes, helping to encourage transparency in decision-making and fostering opportunities for citizen input and consultation.