Refugee Rights Association is looking for Social Advisor
Refugee Rights Association
Position: Social Advisor (Full Time)
Deadline: 27th December, 2020
Refugee Rights Association (RRA) is interested to hire motivated individual for the post of the Social Advisor for the project Strengthening Asylum in Cyprus funded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Country Office in Cyprus.
RRA was established in 2009 to work against the shortcomings and violations regarding the right to asylum in the northern part of Cyprus and to provide legal and social support for refugees. Over time, we extended our activities to include efforts to combat human trafficking and racism.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide counselling and assistance to refugees and asylum-seekers in order to ensure that they have access to their rights as these are envisaged in local and international law;
- Provide information, advice, and guidance to persons of concern both in group sessions and one-on-one meetings;
- Assist individuals, both asylum seekers and refugees in accessing services conducive to their well-being and integration, including access to medical services, education, vocational training, language classes, employment and welfare support.
- Monitor access to the aforementioned rights and prepare detailed reports for evidence-based advocacy interventions, including through house visits and community outreach activities.
- Analyze the cultural, political, and economic capacities of communities of concern and based on the information gathered, implement activities that enhances their communal capacities and resilience.
- Assess vulnerabilities and needs during individual meetings and in conditions of emergency arrivals;
- Identify individuals with specific needs, including other persons, persons with disabilities, unaccompanied and separated children, single parents, survivors of torture, trafficking and sexual and gender-based violence, and assist them including through advocacy with local bodies for their prompt identification and access to special support;
- Ensure that men, women, girls, boys of all ages, nationalities, backgrounds and abilities participate inn the assessment, planning and implementation of protection, social and educational activities.
- Undertake other duties as required.
Academic Qualifications Required
University degree in Social Work, Counselling, Psychology or other related field. Additional training in counselling, crisis intervention, conflict management or related fields will be considered an asset.
Relevant Experience Required
- Experience in social support, case management and counselling for at least 2 years.
- Experience in community mobilization and capacity-building.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and multi-national context.
- Excellent command of Turkish and English language; knowledge of an additional language, such as Arabic, would be considered an asset;
- Excellent writing and drafting skills;
- Analytical skills; ability to conduct situation analysis, social analysis of risk factors as well as analysis of the political and economic context;
- Ability to mobilize resources at community and local bodies level;
- Ability to assess training needs and design training modules and deliver training to educate other people;
- Negotiating skills;
- Counselling and mentoring skills, both individually and in groups;
- Communication, inter-personal skills and teamwork;
- Good computer skills and including excellent use of word processing and spreadsheet software;
- Car and driving license is required.
- Being able to cross the green line.
Your application has been successfully submitted.